Chocolate and Chocolate Drinks

Chocolate is loved by many and is one of the most common foods people eat when under stress. However, chocolate may also be detrimental for people with certain conditions. Chocolate is one of the foods that you should try to avoid after having your gallbladder removed because of various different reasons. For one, chocolate is rich in fats and contains high loads of caffeine and sugar.

Fats are digested using large quantities of bile, which if your gallbladder has been removed, means that your system has to work overtime. Although the liver continues to produce bile, the bile becomes repetitively drained in the intestines because the gallbladder, which acted as a type of reservoir for bile, is absent. Due to this, the amount of bile being released is often not properly balanced and as a result, it may lead to bloating or worse, irritable bowel syndrome. Eating chocolates therefore makes your liver work more than it has to and may lead to indigestion and even diarrhea because the excess fat consumption may stimulate the intestines to contract leading to bowel movements.

Secondly, chocolate is high in caffeine. Caffeine is a natural stimulant that also causes irritation of the gastrointestinal lining. Caffeine also directly stimulates the central nervous system, which will eventually affect the digestive tract leading to irritable bowel syndrome. Caffeine may also cause the small intestine to go into spasms which, in turn, will aggravate the stomach and potentially cause abdominal pain.Although studies show that caffeine can prevent the occurrence of gallstones, caffeine after gallbladder surgery is actually quite harmful as it can lead to abdominal discomforts and severe indigestion. 

Since chocolates are also rich in sugar, this can cause bloating of the stomach and the feeling that you are already full even after only a few bites. This is because sugar is gas forming. Ingesting chocolate may lead to abdominal distention and flatulence as the acids build up excessive gas in the gastrointestinal tact as a side effect of trying to break down the chocolate.

Milk chocolate or chocolate drinks in general should especially be avoided because of the added sugar and milk that will further cause gastric irritation. Dark chocolate may lack the sugar or sweetness of normal chocolate, but it should still be avoided because of its high caffeine content and potential irritation of the stomach lining. In conclusion, chocolate in any form or of any kind should be avoided because your stomach and especially your liver will have to work more for it to digest properly.

Incoming search terms:

  • chocolate drink
  • yhs-fullyhosted_003
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply

Disclaimer: The statements in this website have NOT been evaluated by or sanctioned by the FDA. Only your doctor can properly diagnose and treat any disease or disorder. The supplements discussed herein are not meant to treat any disease but are for nutritional support of the body only. The user understands that the information in this website is NOT intended as a substitute for the advice of a physician or a pharmacist. under no circumstances recommends depending on any particular treatment published on this site and in all cases recommends that you consult your physician, doctor or local treatment center before pursuing any course of treatment proposed on this website.

Powered by WordPress | Designed by: Hosted Exchange | Thanks to MS SharePoint Hosting, Hosted Desktop and Project Server Hosting